Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Middle School is Worse than Meatloaf



I have a recommendation: "Middle School is Worse than Meatloaf: A Year Told Through Stuff" by Jennifer L. Holm. This is the most unique and creative book I have ever read. The story is not told the conventional way. It is literally told through stuff like the title says. Each page tells the story through various things like Ginni's (the main character) to-do-lists, shopping lists, school class schedules, report cards, English essays, notes from her mom, etc. It was such a fun way to get to know Ginni and her 7th grade year of middle school. I think all of us can sympathize in some ways with Ginni. Shannon Hale recommended the book on her website, and it got rave reviews on Amazon.com, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did. It was a very fun read. With no interruptions, you could probably read it in an hour or so. I had a hard time putting it down because I was so drawn into the story and how it is told. It is a very clever book and very well done too. If you're interested in something light, fun, and interesting you should give this book a try.

No comments: