Monday, March 9, 2009

The Face on the Milk Carton

Did you read this when you were little? I did. And then the book got passed around to all my friends and to all my sister's friends. And I remember thinking it was so cute. Well, I picked it up recently, just to read something (I didn't have a library card yet) and I found a fun story with lots of insight on teenage feelings.

And did you know that there are now 3 more books that follow this story?
Whatever Happened to Janie?
The Voice on the Radio
What Janie Found

I just finished the last two today. They are all quick reads and the story flows nicely. I didn't like the third as much as I liked the 2nd & 4th. And the 1st is still my favorite. However, I was surprised to get something more than just a story.

Caroline B. Cooney (the author) has amazing insight on what life is like for a young girl caught between two families. I found myself realizing that this book can give others a chance to better understand what feelings a foster child goes through. Or a child with divorced parents. Or an adopted child.

I'm glad I read these books and I would recommend them for anyone (teachers, parents, friends, siblings) who knows someone who's had any type of family crisis.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I LOVED this book. I'm excited to see that there are sequels (how did I miss that?) Anyway, I love your book club and have a suggestion for a book... It's called Mr & Mrs Fitzwilliam Darcy and it's a sequel (one of many) to Pride and Prejudice. Here is a link to a review and Q & A by the author. It looks like it might be worth reading for Jane Austen fans.
http://janitesonthejames.blogspot.com/2009/03/mr-mrs-fitzwilliam-darcy-by-sharon.html

Anonymous said...

Ruth, I would LOVE to be a member of your book club. My email address is CUonTV1@hotmail.com

I love your blogs! Thanks for your contributions...

Mary Colovich (your Mom's Mary!)