Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A Friend Like Henry, by Nuala Gardner


I just finished reading A Friend Like Henry today. It is a true story of an autistic boy Dale and how his dog Henry helps him. The author Nuala is the mother of Dale and tells a very detailed story of what it was like for her family to deal with Dale, his developmental issues, and health and educational professionals.

I enjoyed reading this book and was reminded of some of my former clients who also struggled with Autism. I was amazed at how much progress Dale made and all the hard times his parents went through to fight for him. As a social worker, I have been on the other side of the picture. But this gave me an opporunity to see how life was for this family with an autistic toddler. I worry that in the past I may have responded in similar ways as some of the professionals in the book did. This book gave me a new appreciation for families who deal with troubled children.

The story takes place in Scotland, and therefore it will also give you a chance to see what kind of English grammar I have to deal with here in the UK. Finally, I would not recommend this book to anyone who has recently given up a dog--it made me cry more than once for the loss of my own sweet puppy. (I really need to stop reading books about dogs! I recently finished another book about a lady who raises a guide dog and then had to give it away after a year. And let's not talk about my experience while watching I Am Legend!)

5 comments:

Rachael said...

this book sounds really good. j wants to know if you want us to send lexi to you? she keeps farting and it stinks so bad.

Myndi said...

Okay, I outright refused to go to 'I am Legend' with Luke because of that part. Finally, I agreed to go yesterday and I sobbed for the rest of the movie after that scene. Luke told someone later about it and blamed it on my hormones...he can think that if he wants.

Anonymous said...

Can you help, this is driving me crazy. I'm trying to think of the name/author of a book I read on a lady who raises a guide dog. Sounds like it may be the same book you just commented about. What was the one you read called?

Ruth said...

Dear anonymous,
The book I read is called "Second Chance" and was written by Elizabeth Wrenn. I read it while living in the UK. See this link for more details: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Second-Chance-Elizabeth-Wrenn/dp/1847560040/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234884720&sr=1-3

Anonymous said...

Hey Anonymous! It's called Around the Next Corner by Elizabeth Wren. I am in the middle of it.