Monday, March 31, 2008

March's Book Discussion

I hope you all had a good March and had a chance to read The Street Lawyer. I sure enjoy reading any of John Grisham's book. I like his, what I call, Lawyer's books the best since he used to be one. Of course the novels are fiction but he pretty much knows what he's talking about. Anyhow, here are some questions to think about.

What did you like about the story? Or if you liked the story?

Did you like the ending? How would you end the book?

Did any part of the book inspire you? Even a little bit?

Did the book change your opinion about lawyers? Would you ever be one?

Or just share your thoughts and feelings about the book or the author...

3 comments:

Camelia Bradshaw said...

This story reminds me a lot of life in New York city. It is very easy to get wrapped up with work and in all the fun and exciting things you can do in a such a large city and live the big life ( especially if you have money)and forget that there are ugly parts of the town with poeple are very poor and have many needs.
The main charactor was kind of forced to have a peek at the more humble kind of life and had a sort of "aha" moment. The others kind of brushed it aside but he was really moved and decided to do something about it.
How many of us, have a life changing experience and decide to get up and change our attitude and do something about it?

Ruth said...

Because this was the first Grisham book I've read, I went into it expecting a thriller like Runaway Jury or The Pelican Brief. I liked how the beginning grabbed my attention and I wanted to know what was going to happen to Michael. But towards the middle of the book I found myself expecting more. In the end, I did enjoy the book and I appreciated the opportunity it provided of a self-evaluation.

I thought the ending was realistic in the fact that his marriage didn't miraculously fix itself.

Throughout this reading I was reminded of why I became a social worker. I want to help people that can't help themselves. I loved how Michael was able to use his professional training and personality to aid the homeless. I also had to keep reminding myself that I give to charity through church tithing. But of course, there's always more that can be done.

Myndi said...

I enjoyed this book; it was an easy read which I appreciated after a series of heavy-hitters in my other reading.

I liked the ending. I agree with Ruth, I am glad his marriage didn't magically get better in the end. I am glad JG kept it realistic.

I was inspired to work with the down-trodden in my youth and so I can relate the difficulty and the fulfillment of working with homeless. I recently left a job where I worked with homeless folks struggling with addiction; very heart-breaking but inspiring work.