Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Tribute to Frank McCourt


Browsing through the books on CD at the library one day a long time ago I came across a familiar title, Angela's Ashes. I hadn't seen the movie but figured since it was made into a movie it must be pretty good. As I began listening during my daily commute I realized this book isn't just 'pretty good' it is the best book I have ever read (or listened to). Angela's Ashes is Frank McCourt's recount of his life growing up in Ireland--"A miserable childhood" which he points out in his opening statement.

Frank McCourt's Pulitzer Prize winning story is read in his own voice, which makes listening to it a beautiful cultural experience. He even sings! If you decide to read this book based on this blog entry, please listen to it instead. Again, the story is so much better when hearing his voice and inflection.

Frank McCourt has written two additional memoirs: 'Tis and Teacher Man. Both are wonderful. There is a part in 'Tis where I laughed so hard tears came. If anyone has ever tried teaching teenagers they will be able to relate wholeheartedly to Teacher Man--I read it when I was attempting to teach life skills to criminal teens at an alternative high school. He has also written a children's book, about Christmas, Angela and The Baby Jesus.

Frank McCourt's reflection of his life has made such a difference in my life. Though I cannot relate to the degree of suffering he has experienced, I can very much relate to his emotional experience and reaction to the irony, humor, and humanity of of the world. I am so grateful I picked up his book that day...

You can learn more about Frank McCourt a this website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_McCourt

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Myndi, I totally forgot that you had mentioned this book a long time ago at WHS. I will definitely add it to my "to read" list and look into getting it on CD from the library. Starting next month I'll have quite a commute to/from work so that would be perfect! Thanks for the recommendation.

Ruth said...

Oh my gosh. This is such a great book! I just finished it this week and I loved it. It is very sad and hard to believe that it really happened to those poor kids. But I couldn't even put it down. At the end of the book I was so upset that it didn't "end." I guess I should have known there was a sequel. Thanks Myndi for recommending this book to me!